Laura has extensive experience in organizational development and facilitation work both in Minnesota and abroad. She has worked as a leader, change agent, and consultant in diverse settings, helping organizations and communities transition and successfully attain their goals. Working with private, public and nonprofit organizations, Laura uses a strength-based approach to successfully engage stakeholders to generate creative and dynamic solutions. In addition, she has often brought disparate communities together through cross-cultural, asset-based work. She is fluent in Spanish and English.
Laura holds a Master of Science in Organization Development (MSOD) with distinction for her field work from American University and is a Certified Technology of Participation Facilitator (CTF) and mentor trainer. She did her undergraduate work at Oberlin College in History and Latin American Studies.
Laura has consulted in all sectors. Some examples of projects include:
- Facilitate strategic planning for Ford Next Generation Learning, Chicago, IL
- Facilitate strategic teams retreats for the Initiative Foundation, Central MN
- Conduct team performance project with the Medtronic Corporation, MN
- Design and facilitate large stakeholder planning groups for US AID Sustainable Fisheries Project in Ghana
- Design and facilitate an Inclusion, Engagement, and Accessibility strategic planning for the Minnesota Council on Nonprofits
- Facilitate Team Building and Action Planning, multi-year retreat for City of Bloomington Public Schools, Media Group
- Design and facilitate a collective impact project for the Youth Homelessness Redesign Project, Twin Cities
- Conduct strategic planning, the Minneapolis Bicycle Coalition, MN
- Facilitate full department planning retreat, City of St. Paul, Department of Safety and Inspections
- Design and facilitate community-wide elections process, Nokomis East Neighborhood Association, MN
- Facilitate stakeholder engagement meeting with Hennepin County Employment Services, MN
- Facilitate process improvement project with the City of Minneapolis, Animal Care and Control Unit, Minneapolis
- Establish performance review systems with Rustica Bakery, Minneapolis
- Conduct strategic planning for Twin Cities Academy, St. Paul
- Facilitate an action planning and training for Heritage Park Neighborhood Association, Minneapolis
- Conduct a strategy assessment and intervention for GoodHabitz, Inc., Netherlands
- Conduct an organizational assessment and strategic plan for Taller Acción Comunitario, Chile
Past work experiences include:
- Executive Leadership; having lead two multicultural organizations in the Twin Cities, Joyce Bilingual Preschool and the Lyndale Neighborhood Association
- International Training and Community Development; having served as a US Peace Corps Education Specialist, trained Peace Corps Volunteers in cross-cultural community development in the Dominican Republic, and organized geographic communities in the Twin Cities
- Governance and Civic Engagement; having served on statewide boards, such as the Minnesota Council of Nonprofits and citywide boards, such as the Minneapolis Center for Neighborhoods.
- Cross-cultural Design and Facilitation; having advised or facilitated projects with Minneapolis Public Schools, Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board, and Minnesota Council of Nonprofits around topics of engagement, inclusion, and equity.